Simmetry Design
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simmetry Design

Where creativity has no limits

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MaggieSims
MaggieSims

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop Empty
PostSubject: Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop   Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop Empty3/29/2016, 12:30 am

Hello All! Many have asked how I add my shadows to my sims. I use photoshop and I think my technique is pretty simple! Everyone does things differently, this is just how I do mine!

Here are some examples:

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 25777516650_0fdab42cf8 Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 25151507690_1d55366de9 Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 24915059974_a426075eae 

First, have your sim/sims editing done already. The shadow is one of the last things I do. Make sure you have a solid background, no gradients or patterns or this technique doesn't work.

Grab the 'Magic Wand Tool'. 

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 25503077913_ceeca98ea8_b

Select with the magic wand tool, anywhere in the solid background area (starred). This selects the grey background, but usually there are additional areas that didn't get selected (circled areas), shift+click those small areas to make sure all background is selected.

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 26013189192_4aea813094_b

With all this area selected, click "Select" at the top bar, and click "Inverse". This with invert the selection from the background to selecting your sim! 

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 26079891206_0a16b9d505_b

Now click to add a new layer, and on this new layer, bucket fill the selection black. You now have your shadow layer. No click on the bottom, original layer.

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 25503270483_34f39af6f5_b

Notice your sim is still selected, with the bottom layer selected (the one with your sim on it), and ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste. This will paste a cut out copy of your sim. Now move that newly pasted sim to the top. You now have 3 layers, bottom original, middle shadow layer, and the top cut out sim.

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 26039697061_0e7d232ced_b

Hide the top layer, the one with your cut out sim, so you can see the shadow layer. And select the shadow layer to start working with it. Go to the top bar, and click Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur. I usually blur around 5px.

Now you can re-size the shadow anyway that looks good with the particular shot. playing with the perspective also gives good effects.

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 26040468871_5e7f89085e_b

Now click the top cut out sim layer to make it visible again, and you can start to see how your shadow will look!

Adjust size and or perspective as needed, and lower the opacity. I tend to stick with 10-40%.

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 26040528791_29c6a5444d_b

Merge the layers and BAM! Basic shadow achieved. There are spots that might need attention around the hair or other areas that might have been accidentally selected, but these steps will give you the basic idea to place a shadow behind your sim!

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop 26014397762_22c08a84cd_b

At this point you can be finished, or you can add other finishing details such as gradient overlays, filters or actions. I hope you find this useful! You can leave comments or suggestions below!
Back to top Go down
http://maggiesims.tumblr.com
Vanadis
Vanadis

PostSubject: Re: Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop   Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop Empty3/29/2016, 2:08 am

Good Maggie! I was never quite able to explain how to do this! I use the Pen Tool, but not everyone does, so that's why I was like um um ummmmm you do the thing I dunno.

This is a really great tutorial! This is how we did it in art school (except we used pen.) BUT STILL. Reaaaaalllly nice!
Back to top Go down
MaggieSims
MaggieSims

PostSubject: Re: Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop   Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop Empty3/29/2016, 8:12 am

that's great Vana, i just figured this one out myself, so i feel all proud now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://maggiesims.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop   Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding a Shadow behind a Sim with Photoshop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Simmetry Design :: Creative Corner :: Modeling :: Tutorials-
Jump to: